Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Week 1 and 2 Post Op Clothing: Some Hyster Fashion Girl Suggestions

So what does a girl wear after surgery?  Hyster Sisters gives a wonderful list of items and suggestions.  You must basically dress as comfortably as possible.  For me, I was sent home with a Foley Catheter (for two freakin weeks) and a drain tube that was attached to my side ab.  Gross.  So the last thing on my mind, was looking great for the husband or my family that visited.  So what did I wear?  The best clothing choice I made was wearing my husband's clothes.  I used his sleeveless T-shirts to make room for the incision areas to breathe.  I wore his scrubs pants since they have drawstring, they were super baggy and adjustable. I need the bagginess to make room for the Foley bag and catheter. 

But one of my favorite pieces was my jersey skirt.  I had the Bodega Skirt from Athetica from last year, and I never appreciated it as much as I appreciated for Weeks 1-2 at home.  I still wore my hubbie's big T-shirts over it, along with a decent sports bra to cover the girls, but that skirt made life easier for me as far as providing room for the catheter, plus bag, and walking around the house.  The elastic waist felt like it wasn't even there, nor did it put any pressure on the incision sites.  I was able to put it on OVER my head, and so it kept me from having to bend my legs or reaching down to pull it up.  Athletica has a variety of these skirts that helped me out. 

This skirt from Athleta retails $54.00, which is why I only own one. There are other similar styles on the site at the same cost. I will say, that Athleta does offer different sizes for different body types: Petite, Regular, Tall, and Plus sizes.   BUT, I found a similar style available at Old Navy's site for only $16.99 - $19.99!



As far as going to the doctor, with my catheter (a small foley bag for the leg), I stuck to the BAGGIEST pair of sweats I could find.   I also covered up my top half with the baggiest sweatshirt I had since I carried around the tubing from my abs.   I walked around the medical building like a 90 year old woman, but at least I was able to walk to the doctor's office. 

A suggestion for some baggy sweats called Vintage Flare Crop Pants at Victoria's Secret (also available in full length legs. I went shopping the weekend before surgery and bought a couple pairs one size larger than I normally wear. The thick elastic waistband is totally comfortable. No drawstring, but roomy and comfy for the incision area. I'm wearing a pair right now! Although I only wore these sweats going to the doctor's office, and only after they took the catheter and tubing out.  I say if you are sent home with a catheter, stick to the skirt!

The Boyfriend Pants available at Victoria's Secret.  I don't own a pair, but I did try them on, and they are VS's baggiest style.

No comments:

Post a Comment